Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
Links & resources the M5 StuartДля просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
Stuart: A History of the American Light Tank, vol.I, by R. Hunnicut
Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
|M5A1 Stuart specifications|
|Dimensions (L-W-H)||4.62 x 2.39 x 2.33 m|
(15’2″ x 7’10” x 7’8″)
|Total weight, battle ready||16.5 tons (33,070 lbs)|
|Crew||4 (commander, driver, gunner, loader)|
|Propulsion||Twin Cadillac V8, 296 hp (220 kW), air cooled gasoline|
|Suspension||Vertical Volute Spring|
|Speed||36 mph (58 km/h) on-road|
18 mph (29 km/h) off-road
|Range||160 km (99 mi) at medium speed|
|Armament||37 mm (1.46 in) M6 AT gun|
3xcal.30 (7.62 mm) M1919 machine-guns
|Armor||From 13 to 51 mm (0.51-2 in)|
|Production (M5/M5A1 combined)||8,884|
M5 Stuart, Tunisia, February 1943. Following operation “Torch” in November 1942, the first M5 arrived in North Africa.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
, Operation Torch, North Africa, November 1943.
Early Stuart M5 of the 81st Reconnaissance Batallion, 1st Armoured Division, Maontaione, Italy, July 1944.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
M5A1 with one of Culin’s improvized “hedgerow cutter” in France, Operation Cobra, Normandy, summer 1944.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
Another M5A1, late production version in France, operation Cobra, June 1944.
M5A1 Annie B., Normandy, summer 1944. This tank proudly shows the emblem of the 66th Armoured Regiment, the oldest armoured unit in the history of the United States, founded by then Col. Patton of the US cavalry, which later commanded the 304th Tank Brigade during the late part of the campaign in Normandy and France.
Stuart M5A1 of the 757st Tank Batallion, Mount Porchia Italy, January 1944.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
M5A1 Pacific, Saipan, Mariana Islands offensive, June 1944. Notice the simplified “jungle” pattern camouflage.
M5A1 with partial skirts and extra rear basket, 1944.
M5A1 “Lil’ Red Hen”, France, fall 1944.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
M5A1 Stuart of the organic recce unit of the 501st Tank Destroyer Batallion, Volturno river, October 1943.
M5A1 Stuart “Dingbat” of the 6th Armoured Division, 15th Tank Batallion, D Company, Western Germany, February 1945.
M5A1 “Buddies”, 3th Armoured Division, Western Germany, early 1945.Для просмотр ссылок требуется регистрация.
“Sloppy Joe”, late M5A1 from the 97th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Germany, January 1945.
British Stuart Mk.VI seen from the left, to show the turret cal.30 mount shield, which was customary on most late M5A1s. Now exposed at the Bovington tanks museum.
M5A1 early production, 4th Marine Tank Batallion of the US Marine Corps on Roi-Namur, Kwajalein Atoll, February 1944.
British Stuart Mk.VI in the Netherlands, Operation Market Garden, fall 1944.
Taiwanese M5A1 in 1949.
Portuguese M5A1 in Angola, 1967.Thanks to the determination and enthusiasm of Cavalry Captain Paulo Mendes, three rusty, obsolete M5A1 tanks were the protagonists of a unique adventure on the African soil, the only ones to have fought in the history of the Portuguese Army. These veterans successively served with the British, French (with Leclerc’s 2nd DB which liberated Paris) and the Canadian Army postwar, until 1956. The next year they were completely revised, refurbished and re-engineered, tested and approved for service at the Beirolas material tank depot. Named Gina, the Milocas and Licas, the 3 tanks embarked for Angola in 1967, and soldiered there until 1972, distinguishing themselves in many escort and reconnaissance missions, and being dubbed by the guerrillas of the FNLA “dumdum Elephants”. In 1967, 90 M5A1s were in still service with the Portuguese Army, the 6th Cavalry Regiment, the Military Academy, the National Guard (25 combined) and the General Depot of Beirolas. Captain Paul Mendes, accompanied by a driver and a mechanic, went in Beirolas for a week and selected six M5s which passed through an initial review, and only three were selected and taken to the General Workshops Engineering Material (OGME) in Bethlehem for a complete revision, equipped with new radios, ammunition supplies and prepared for shipping in September 26, 1967. The Milocas operated in Grafanil, the Gina in Luanda and the Licas in Zala. Only 13 are preserved today in Portugal.